Friday, June 15, 2012

dad.

So, i'm sure most of you know my dad is unwell. He has bowel cancer and got diagnosed about 3 months ago. Since being diagnosed he has gone through kemo therapy and radiation which was quite successful. Now myself and the family are anticipating his surgery which will be on the 12th of July.

I don't mind talking about it because somehow i have dealt with the situation. At first hearing the news made me really pissed off and angry with the world. I couldnt comprehend how someone that doesn't smoke or drink, looks after themselves and is such an asset to so many peoples lives could be cursed with this horrible disease. It's really not fair, but for want of not going completely insane I just have to accept it.

I know we are not the only ones having our lives affected by cancer. 1 in 3 people will at some point in their lives suffer from it and it's amazing the stories that people come out with when you confide that someone you love has it too. It makes us feel less alone but definately doesn't dull the anxiety. Despite it all we are positive people and we are trying with all our might to only envision the best possible outcome.

The point of this post wasn't to ramble on about cancer so much but rather tell a few short stories about my dad that our family friend Lucy Forbes shared with me about half an hour ago.

I have always known him as my father and a bit of a goofball. He has an incredible sense of humour and always finds the funny side of life (im sure if you have been recieving his email updates you will be able to relate to this). But today i learned about simple side of him that has stuck with the people involved and will undoubtably stick with me.

My dad is a bus driver and has been doing it for a few good years now. He used to work for Qantas but decided that he was missing out on too much at home and bus driving is what he has ended up doing instead.

Lucy has recently organised a benefit concert for my dad which will be on the 5th of July. We have had so many people eager to help out the family and Lucy has taken it upon herself to organise a night where people actually can and pay tribute to my dad.

We spoke today about the concert and she wanted to share with me two little stories associated with both dads bus driving and the concert.

Recently it was all advertised in the local news paper and lucy told me she was working at her husbands practice on the reception desk when a little old lady walked in the door. She came up to the counter, purchased a ticket and told her that David Furey was the best bus driver she had ever met in her life before waddling out the door.

The second is from when Lucy ran into someone she knew. At the time she was holding the flyer about dad and the concert and the lady she had run into said ''I know that man, thats David Furey''
Lucy said to her ''Oh how do you know David?''
she replied ''on my son's first day of school i was really nervous and my son was absolutely terrified of catching the bus. Finally the bus pulled up and the doors opened and behind the wheel was a friendly man with a huge smile that said to the little boy ''Hello i'm david, whats you name?'' from that day on her son was more than excited to attend school and she was completely at ease with him catching the bus.

These stories are quite simple but they make me so extremely proud of my dad for being such a good person and impacting on peoples lives in such a positive way. It is so easy for all of us as human beings to get completely lost in our own needs, cares, wants, moods and problems. It takes an extremely selfless heart to put it all aside so other people can be happy too.

If there is anything I have learned from my dad it's that a smile and a kind word can move mountains.



luvya Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment